“Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope … and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.” – Robert F. Kennedy
Mitchell’s new student organization, Students Together Advancing the Need for Diversity and Dialogue (STAND) is seeking board members for 2012-13. STAND seeks to bring students together across all differences to help Mitchell fulfill its multiculturalism vision to build a diverse and vibrant learning community and an inclusive profession where all individuals feel welcomed and respected. STAND’s mission is based on the premise that:
- The work of advancing diversity and inclusion is a shared responsibility;
- Being able to engage in critical dialogue about social justice is vital to the successful development of all attorneys;
- The Mitchell community benefits from curricular and co-curricular initiatives that give voice to multiple identities and perspectives and challenges students to examine issues through multiple lenses;
- The legal community benefits from having attorneys that are aware of issues of power, privilege, and unconscious bias and are committed to ensuring that these issues do not unjustly influence the legal system
If you are interested in serving on the STAND Executive Board, please submit a statement addressing the following questions:
- Why do you want to serve on the STAND Board?
- What is your current involvement in STAND or other diversity-related work?
- What does the STAND mission mean to you?
- How do you think you can help STAND achieve its mission?
Statements should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 9th.
All Executive Board Members are expected to:
- Participate in a planning retreat (May 2012)
- Complete Social Justice Training (sponsored by YWCA or other social justice agency)
- Review articles and other resource materials related to diversity, inclusion and social justice
- Work with MCA Office to plan institution-wide diversity events
- Attend regular STAND Board Meetings
- Work with MCA Office and MCA Advisory Board to plan an annual Elimination of Bias CLE (ie 2011 Fueling the Leadership Pipeline CLE)
- Facilitate or co-facilitate at least two STAND dialogues (ie 2011 Take a STAND for Justice PLP)
Check out photos from other STAND events