Additional considerations when making a gift of securities
- Select appreciated securities held longer than one year. You should work with your broker to choose the most appropriate securities and ask that your broker deliver shares with the lowest cost basis.
- Adjust your records to reflect the delivery of those specific shares.
- Select the day you wish to make each transfer. Call your broker early in the day and request that the transfer be made before the market closes.
To make a gift of stock or other securities, follow these steps:
- Notify us about your gift of securities by calling us at 651-290-6371.
- Download, fill out and sign the transfer form (below), and give it to your broker prior to the transfer day. The form has the William Mitchell account information you will need to make the transfer.
- Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC DTC #0141
- Credit Account #4015-2370 in the name of William Mitchell College of Law
- Download the stock transfer form PDF, 456 Kb
- Ask your broker to attach your name to the transaction description so we know the gift is from you.
- If you or your broker have questions contact:
Charles C. DeMoss
Toll Free: 1-800-453-6737
Barbara Hutson, Advancement Services Manager
651-290-6371 | Barbara.Hutson@wmitchell.edu