Apply

How do I become a Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project Fellow?

Students are asked to fill out the application provided on the website before the deadline. Afterward, there will be an interview process where the Fellows are selected.

Important Dates

Applications

Invitations to Interview

Invitations to interview for Fall 2015 will be sent before April 11, 2015.

Interviews

Interviews for Fall 2015 will be held on Saturday, April 11, 2015.

Selections

Selections for Fall 2015 will be announced in April 2015.

TRAINING DATES

Day 1-Wednesday, August 19, 2015.
Day 2-Saturday, August 22, 2015.
Day 3-Saturday, August 29, 2015.
Day 4-Saturday, September 19, 2015.

Frequent questions about the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project

How do I become a Marshall-Brennan Fellow?

Can 1Ls apply to be Marshall-Brennan Fellows?

Yes. Although the Marshall-Brennan Project is a 4-credit course that is only available to 2Ls and 3Ls, 1Ls are encouraged to apply for the Fall semester of their 2L year.

Is the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project a year-long or semester commitment?

The commitment is for one semester.

Where do I get the applications?

The application is posted on the “Apply to Marshall-Brennan” page of the website. Questions may be directed to mbproject@wmitchell.edu.

When will I know if I was selected?

Offers to be a Marshall-Brennan Fellow will be extended in April prior to registration.

Do I get academic credit for being a Marshall-Brennan Fellow?

Yes. Fellows will earn 4 credits for this course.

Will the class be graded?

Yes.

When does the class meet?

The Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project seminar will meet weekly for two hours.  For fall 2015 the seminar will meet each Wednesday from 4:00 – 5:50 p.m. beginning on August 26. In addition there are four full-day training days that all Fellows are required to attend prior to the start of the school year. For fall 2015 these dates are Wednesday, August 19; Saturday, August 22; Saturday, August 29; and Saturday, September 19.

When do I need to be in the high schools?

Each high school’s schedule varies. You will teach in the high schools according to that high school’s schedule. Generally, Fellows teach in an area high school 5 days a week, for 50 minutes a day, for 9 weeks.

Can I drop the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project as a class during the add/drop period?

No. Once you accept a position as a Marshall-Brennan Fellow, you are committing to the project and the high school for the semester. You will not be permitted to drop the course.

Are there prerequisites?

No. Constitutional Law: Liberties and Criminal Procedure are recommended, but not required.

Do I need prior teaching experience or a teaching license to participate in the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project?

No.

Will the placement hours count as MJF hours?

You will receive 1 credit for your placement in the high school, which is roughly equivalent of 50 hours. Any hours you work in the high school or with the students over and above 50 hours can go towards MJF hours.

What high schools are participating?

Will I be provided transportation to the high schools?

No. You are expected to provide your own transportation to/from the high schools. All the high schools are within three miles of William Mitchell.

Can I pick which high school I teach in?

No. During the application and interview process you can express an interest in a particular high school, but students will be offered a position as a Marshall-Brennan Fellow in a particular school by the Director of the program.

Can I pick who my co-teacher is?

No. Fellows will be placed in teaching pairs by the Director of the program.

Will I need to teach over Fall break?

Yes.  You will be responsible for teaching based on the high school’s calendar and St. Paul High Schools are in session during William Mitchell’s spring/fall break.