The William Mitchell Law Review Journal of the National Security Forum was recently mentioned in Newsweek. Read the story.
September 11, 2011 marks the 10-year anniversary of the attacks on 9/11. Mall of America®, William Mitchell College of Law’s National Security Forum, and InfraGard will host a two-part symposium examining issues surrounding current terrorism threats.
The series will focus on counterterrorism responses at the strategic and operational levels from the perspectives of local, national, and international policymakers and practitioners. Each program will feature experts from around the country.
Programs will be broken into four parts, including closed-door workshops, roundtable discussions, and a keynote address. Law enforcement and homeland security officials, academics, policymakers, corporate security representatives, emergency and crisis response managers, public health officials, military personnel, journalists, and members of the public interested in counterterrorism issues are welcomed to this event.
The series will be separated into two programs:
Program 1 | The local perspective
Monday, Sept. 12, 2:30 – 6 pm | Free at the Mall of America
• The “homegrown” threat
• Local law enforcement on the ‘front lines’ of counterterrorism
• Counterterrorism intelligence at the local level
• Public-private-community security partnerships
• Doug Reynolds – Director of Security, Mall of America
• Judge John Tunheim
• Tom Heffelfinger – former U.S. Attorney
• Deb Pierce – former Special Agent in Charge, FBI Minneapolis
• Jeff Potts – Chief of Bloomington Police
• Sharon Schmickle – MinnPost reporter, former Star Tribune reporter
• Chief Judge Davis
Program 2 | The national perspective
Oct.17, 2:30 – 6 pm | Free at the Mall of America
• The current threat to the homeland
• Homeland security intelligence
• Counterterrorism tools for the private sector
• Domestic terrorism
• Balancing security and civil liberties
• Eric Schmitt — New York Times reporter
• Paul Pillar — Professor at Georgetown University, former CIA senior analyst
• Juliette Kayyem — Boston Globe columnist, former Assistant Secretary, Department of Homeland Security
The National Security Forum at William Mitchell College of Law was created to be a national resource for discussion and research with the intention to spark new insights and contribute to better-informed, more thoughtful decision-making in the arena of public safety and individual liberty. InfraGard is an association of businesses, academic institutions, state and local law enforcement agencies and other participants dedicated to sharing information and intelligence to prevent hostile acts against the United States.
For more information regarding Evolving Threats Around the Globe at Mall of America visit www.mallofamerica.com.
About Mall of America®
Mall of America is the nation’s largest retail and entertainment complex. At 4.2 million square feet, MOA is home to more than 520 world-class shops; Nickelodeon Universe®, the nation’s largest indoor family amusement park; SEA LIFE Minnesota Aquarium, a 1.2 million gallon walk-through aquarium; Moose Mountain Adventure Golf; Theatres at Mall of America® – a 14-screen movie theater with VIP theatre and more. The Mall opened in August of 1992 and is located in Bloomington, Minn., just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Follow Mall of America on Facebook and Twitter or visit our blog.